Migration to PCS7 v8.2 of water treatment plant in Alahunaay, Saudi Arabia
Description of the Solution
- The process is implemented in a water treatment and supply plant.
- The plant comprises 4 differentiated areas — the main water purification area and three intermediate pumping stations (boosters) located at 50 km intervals to carry the water to Riyadh.
- The objective of the project is to migrate the current PCS7 V6.2 control system to V8.2. This means changing the hardware (servers, clients and engineering station) and upgrading the logic executed on the various PLCs (AS) in each area.
- Planning each step in the process, as well as their order and when to execute them, were crucial to minimizing downtime on such critical infrastructure.
Implementation by the Customer
- Upgrading and updating of all hardware and software.
- Improved operation of the recipe creation, editing and initiation system.
- Optimized management of device and process operations and alarm diagnostics.
Implementation by the Solution Partner
The control system is based on Siemens Industry technology.
- The distributed control system is developed on the PCS7 platform.
- The PLCs are S7-400 series models.
- Communications software: Simatic NET.
- AS-OS communications: ISO Industrial Ethernet protocol.
- Monitoring redundancy achieved via client/server architecture.